It's the journey not the destination

I love telling stories and describing events in a way that helps to understand a little more about ourselves and why we do what we do.

Wednesday 26 October 2011

ciao Marco

like many, I was up early last Sunday to watch the MotoGP.  I was full of excitement and anticipation, but what happened just 2 laps into the race, left me numb for the rest of the day.  Low side crashes are a regular event in motorcycle racing.  Riders normally walk away unharmed and are often seen running after their bike to jump bank on it to finish the race.  Sadly, on this occasion a combination of unlikely circumstances turned a common rider error into a horrific and fatal accident.


Marco Simoncelli was a controversial rider.  He was super talented, completely committed but also took risks that some other riders felt were not acceptable in their eyes.  And that's what made him a contender to be a future world champion. Top level sport is one of extremes - that extra 1% that separates the best from the very best.  Steve Jobs was quoted as saying "stay young, stay foolish"  Today, I think I know what he meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment